Case Study: The CapellaTax Network
CapellaTax Network is a start-up in the financial services industry, focused on serving the tax preparation market for individual tax payers and families. The model is built on a network of authorized and vetted CPAs that are matched with members who enroll through their employer as an additional voluntary benefit and paid for through scheduled payroll deductions. There is also an individual product whereby members can enroll through the marketing website and pay through monthly credit card payments.
As a start-up, Capella needed guidance and assistance in almost all areas of marketing, operations and technology; essentially starting from the ground up. A business and marketing plan needed to be produced and the founders needed an infusion of capital in order to go to market. In addition to general marketing and branding needs, a technology plan was needed in order to build the network portal where members would choose their CPA and continue to track their progress as their annual tax return is prepared. With a staff of only the founder, Capella needed assistance with actually running the business from an operations standpoint (training CPAs, membership enrollment, etc.).
We worked with the founders of Capella from day one, first establishing a name and brand identity for the newly established company and then focusing on acquiring capital and building a technology plan to build out the CPA/membership portal. Upon launch of the portal, We acted as the ongoing primary point of contact for the 110 CPAs and firms that were brought into the online directory and handled the membership onboarding process process. CapellaTax Network is in the process of finishing its third tax season and has the strong brand, materials and operational processes in place to be successful going forward.
The services we provided consisted of:
- Domain Name Consulting & Implementation
- Brand, Logo & Corporate Identity Development
- Business & Marketing Plan Development for Capital Raise
- Technology Plan Development
- Web / Interactive Project Management
- Established IT Infrastructure (E-mail, Hosting, CRM & Project Management System)
- Collateral Development & Copywriting
- Trade Show Display Development
- Marketing Website & E-mail Template Design & Development
- Technology Plan Development & Implementation
- Managed IT Vendor Analysis & Selection Process
- Developed Membership Enrollment & Notification Materials
- On-site Operations Management, Establishing Processes & Policies
- Trained & Supported 110 CPAs on Use of Selection Portal
"Dave Kelley was critical to the successful launch of Capella and has been an invaluable asset to us. Dave’s marketing and technical background and his project management skills were outstanding as we built Capella from scratch..."
- Larry Devitt, CEO, The CapellaTax Network